Are there any agreements in place under the EPA for the recognition of licensing and qualifications in the travel sector between Barbados and the EC?

February 09 2012 | Travel Agents, Tour Operators and Tour Guides

In order to provide travel or tour guide services in another country, a person’s qualifications or business’ licensing needs to be recognised in that country.  The Agreement establishes a process for the private sector, through its relevant professional bodies, to negotiate the terms for mutual recognition of qualifications and licensing requirements.

The Agreement requires the relevant professional bodies for the tourism sector to commence negotiations with their counterparts in the EU within 3 years.  The professional bodies will then make recommendations to the CARIFORUM-EC Trade and Development Committee, who will finalise the mutual recognition agreements.