Would a Barbadian Advertising Agency be allowed to service a contract in the EC that doesn’t require staff to relocate to the European country on a permanent basis, but travel there to service the project?

February 09 2012 | Advertising


Yes.  The EPA has provisions for Advertising Agencies that have a contract with a consumer in EC Member States to travel to these countries to provide services with the following conditions:

Conditions in which these services can be provided

The person from Barbados applying for temporary entry must be supplying a service as employee of a business that has obtained a service contract for a period not exceeding 12 months.

The person must have been an employee of the business for 1 year before applying for entry, and must have at least 3 years professional experience in the relevant sector.

The Barbadian national applying for temporary entry must have a university degree or equivalent qualification, and professional qualifications where required by law.

The person shall not receive remuneration during their stay, other than that paid by their employer.

The temporary entry will be for a cumulative period not exceeding 6 months (or 25 weeks in Luxembourg) during a 12-month period or for the duration of the contract (whichever is less).

The visa permits only the contracted service activity, no other business activities.

The number of persons covered by the services contract shall not be larger than necessary to fulfil the contract.


There are some additional conditions on staff traveling to service an advertising service contract in the following countries:

Belgium: Economic needs test will be applied, except when the annual wage to be paid is above the amount defined by the relevant laws and regulations.


Austria, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Greece, Finland, Hungary, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Romania & Slovakia: Economic needs test will be applied.