FAQs under Hotels, Restaurants and Catering

What provisions are made under the EPA for hotel, restaurant or catering services wishing to provide services from Barbados without traveling to the EU?


A Barbadian services provider can supply hotel, restaurant and catering services from Barbados to a European consumer.  These opportunities are subject to conditions in the following European countries:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Germany, Denmark, Spain, France, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovenia, Slovakia & United Kingdom: There is no commitment to permit the provision of this service except for catering via this mode.

Finally, there are no restrictions on Barbadian service providers in these sectors wishing to provide services to European clients in Barbados.


Hotels, Restaurants and Catering

Back to Top

I operate a business in the EU under the terms of the EPA, what types of personnel would be allowed to work at the Barbadian-owned or operated EU-located hotel or restaurant? And how long would they be permitted to live and work in Europe?


Subject, of course, to the normal visa and immigration requirements, the following categories of personnel are allowed for the designated lengths of time:

Generally, the senior Barbadian staff responsible for establishing your commercial presence in Europe may stay for 90 days in any 12-month period. Key personnel will be allowed to work in Europe for a period of up to 3 years, and graduate trainees may stay for one year.

There are, though, some conditions imposed on these general entry terms based on  the country.

In Bulgaria, the number of foreign managers is not to exceed the number of managers who are Bulgarian citizens, in cases where the public (state and/or municipal) share in the equity capital of a Bulgarian company exceeds 50 per cent.

Hotels, Restaurants and Catering

Back to Top

Under the CARIFORUM/European Community Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA), may a Barbadian company open a hotel in Europe?


Yes!  The European Union allows Barbadian individuals and firms to open or invest in hotels, restaurants and catering businesses under the EPA.  There are, however, a few conditions.

In Bulgaria, the business must be incorporated, and the opening of branches is not permitted.

In Italy, if a Barbadian wishes to open a bar, café or restaurant, an economic needs test will be applied.  The primary criteria that will be taken into account in making the decision will be the population and density of existing establishments.

Austria, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Spain, Greece, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Latvia, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia all place limitations on the acquisition of land and real estate.

Estonia, Finland, Italy, Romania and Sweden have requirements of local citizenship or residency of senior management or Board of Directors.

In Poland, there are limitations on the type of business that Barbadian service providers may operate or own.

Bulgaria, France, Finland and Italy place limitations on the type of investment that Barbadian firms may make, e.g. putting a limit on the maximum percentage for foreign shareholding or voting rights, and the EU in general has limitations on the treatment that is extended to branches and agencies.

Hotels, Restaurants and Catering

Back to Top