Do Barbadian service providers in the Midwifery, Nursing, Physiotherapy or Paramedical Sectors have to be licensed or meet certain qualifications to practice in the EU?

February 09 2012 | Midwifery, Nursing, Physiotherapy and Paramedical

The Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) requires that in order for Barbadians to provide Midwifery, Nursing, Physiotherapy or Paramedical services in Europe, the service provider’s qualifications or business license needs to be recognised in the European country.  The EPA establishes a process for the private sector, through the relevant professional bodies, to negotiate the terms for mutual recognition of qualifications and licensing requirements.

The Agreement requires the relevant professional bodies in CARIFORUM to engage in negotiations with their counterparts in the EU.  The professional bodies will then make recommendations to the CARIFORUM-EC Trade and Development Committee, which will finalise the mutual recognition agreements.